11.13.2009

Changes

This past week I have been struck with how quickly life is moving. My baby girl is fast becoming a toddler, and while for the most part I'm excited about that, I do feel a little sad at times. So, before this moment is gone, I want to take note of some of my favorite Elli-isms:

1. Since we moved here, it has been our routine after her afternoon nap to walk up to get the mail. I love this time of day, because she gets such a kick out of "helping" me with the mail. She carries the mail key every time, and if there's a letter to send, she holds it in her other hand. On the way back she carries whatever mail she can, and the best part is... she giggles the whole way! Soon, I know, these trips will take about three times as long, because she will want to walk the whole way and back. I look forward to that (well, at least my arms and back do!), but I'm also really going to miss being able to kiss those grinning cheeks as we walk.

2. I am in the process of weaning Elli, and although I never thought I would be sad to finish nursing (in fact, I've looked forward to this day since almost the beginning... tell me I'm not the only mommy who didn't just love nursing), there is something about how relaxed she is in my arms that I'm going to miss. We'll find other ways to cuddle, but I truly will miss those sweet moments.

3. Last week Elli dropped her morning nap. This has been a very welcome change, but one I wasn't expecting for at least another couple of months. She has transitioned so easily, however, I know it was the right timing for her. I love having so much freedom in our schedule. We can go to the library, the gym, the park, the grocery store, etc!

4. With some exceptions, Elli is eating most of what we're eating now. This makes meal time so much easier, as I can just cut up little portions of our dish, and easily substitute for what she can't have yet. I'm so thankful she's not a picky eater! I think that feeding Elli is the most stressful thing for me as her parent. I am constantly thinking about her diet and whether she's getting enough of this or that, but I think now that she's eating all the food groups (and liking all of them!) this will be easier to evaluate and maintain.

5. Elli is communicating so much with us! A few weeks ago, she finally mastered the sign for "more" (although it might be looking a lot like clapping), and since then, mealtimes are much more pleasant... even playtime is more fun! She uses more when she wants to read a book again, or when Daddy does something hilarious that she wants to see again. I love the she can tell us now!

No comments: