5.22.2010

Older and Wiser...

Well, older anyway...   :)

Summer has arrived in south Texas; actually, it's been here for weeks.  I've just been in denial.  Until this past week, that is, when I finally decided to get out the sunscreen and beach towels.  And I'm so glad I did!  Elli surprised me by actually loving to swim!  I thought it might take her a few weeks to get used to the activity, but she absolutely loves it!  She's even been dumping water on her head without my prompting!
 
Now, in the summers my skin has always tanned easily and gotten sunburned only once or twice a year.  In my teenage years, at least while I had leisurely summers by the pool, I confess I was not a religious user of sunscreen.  I might apply once and then neglect to reapply throughout the day.  My immediate vanity was much higher on the priority list than cancer or wrinkle concerns.
 
Ever since having Elli, I've been convicted about my sunscreen use.  I am so careful to apply sunscreen on every inch of her body, even behind her sweet little ears, and diligently keep track of the time so I can reapply when she needs it.  And it's got me thinking... isn't it a little hypocritical of me to be so careful with her skin and so careless with my own?  Soon I would have to explain to her why she must wear sunscreen and why Mommy somehow gets away without it.  
 
So, I've made a change - a commitment to her health and mine.  We will both be wearing sunscreen this summer, and if you catch me getting lazy or forgetting, call me on it! 
 

1 comment:

Mira's mom said...

I committed to sunscreen back in 2008. I was a long time sun worshiper and sadly I have spent a little time in the tanning bed...like every wedding I have been in and the finally straw was our 08 trip to Mexico. Upon returning I developed a funny looking brown spot on my face. Turned out to be okay, but they keep an eye on it. Twenty-six is far too young for spots and wrinkles, so I have become religous about sunscreen. Better late than never I guess. Pale and pasty is beautiful too, right? ;)