9.12.2011

How Sweet It Is...

We recently returned from a trip to our beloved home state, and on the last two days we were there, the weather was perfect.  Low of 55, high of 74.  Delightful. Oh, how I love the fall!  One crisp, cool morning, Caroline and I were the first ones awake, so we sat out on the patio, enjoying my parent's beautiful backyard.  Within moments, I got my first hint of it... that delicious smell of autumn.  I'm not sure how to describe it, but if you have ever lived in a place with four seasons, then you know exactly what I mean.

That cozy aroma always brings me back to warm and fuzzy memories of my childhood and growing up years.  I remember early morning volleyball tournaments at Paloma High; that one field trip to the apple orchard when I was so happy that my hair was long enough to braid in pigtails; and drinking hot cocoa from the neighbors who paid my brothers and I to rake their leaves.  

But one of the sweetest times I am reminded of is the fall of 2005, when Daniel asked me to be his girlfriend.  And I said yes.  He had been wooing me for awhile, asking me to take a dance class with him a few weeks earlier.  So, when I checked my messages after geology class, I was not completely taken by surprise to find a voice mail from him asking me to swing by his studio and grab lunch with him.  He tried to sound really casual, but I just knew he was going to ask me out. 

I just knew a lot more, actually.  I knew from the minute I sat down with him at the Subway in the basement of the KSU union.  No, I knew before that - sitting on the bench outside of Seaton Hall.  Praying.  Thinking.  Calling my mom.  I knew the minute I made the decision to walk up the steps and take him up on lunch.

I knew I was going to marry him.

I don't remember if I actually ate any of my turkey sandwich, nor do I truly remember all that was said, except that somewhere in the middle I answered his question with, "I feel the same way."  And I'm pretty sure there's never been a more awkward side hug as we parted ways after our little DTR. We both knew girlfriends and boyfriends hugged, but we didn't really know how, and there were too many backpacks and bicycles involved.  We still laugh about that hug. 

We also get a kick out of this picture, the first taken of us as a couple.

2 comments:

The Frenchs said...

sweet memories - thank you for sharing this precious story!

Sara said...

Megan! I just want to say I love reading your blog and LOVE this series! What a sweet story. We Robertsons weren't quite as romantic that first DTR but hey, we still made it--I was totally oblivious and Adam wouldn't even touch his chips and salsa! haha! Love you! p.s. Your girls are BEAUTIFUL!