3.16.2012

Hummus Date

They are kind of our thing, hummus dates.  I'm not sure when or how that began, but they've been around since our early dating days.  The perfect thing about hummus dates is that it can happen anywhere!  Whether you make your own or buy it at the store, the food is easy to pack up and even easier to clean up.  Sometimes the convenience of store-bought is just what we need, but since discovering these recipes, I try to make it a homemade date as often as possible.  Seriously, these pitas are ah-maz-ing!  So perfectly soft and fluffy, with a hint of crunch in the thin areas.  Even if you buy the hummus, I would encourage you to make your own pitas.  So worth it.


The hummus recipe is really good as well.  Basic, but a perfect blend.  And of course you can add whatever you want to doctor it up.  Make it hot and spicy with some cayenne.  Add some roasted garlic (my favorite!).  Got any sundried tomatoes?  So delicious.


 My new favorite kitchen toy (I love the red!) makes the whole process easier, and my (majorly teething) little helper makes the whole process much, much sweeter. 


  I usually double the hummus recipe, and then eat on the rest for lunches.  This recipe is not full of oil like some I've tried, but it still has a perfect creamy texture.  I'd like to try freezing the pita dough in little balls so I can pull out a few at a time, but I'm not sure if that will work.


 Of course, sometimes our hummus dates become family dates because I just can't keep the girls away from those yummy pitas!  Caroline had her first hummus date with us last night, and I'm guessing from the number of "mores" she signed that she she'll be participating in many more in the future!

No comments: