8.04.2015

Homeschool 2015-16

After prayer and discussion, Daniel and I feel called to continue homeschooling this year. Elli blossomed at home in kindergarten, so we are hopeful and excited for another year at home with her. She is in first grade, and Caroline will continue with preschool for one more year. Caroline has been begging me to do school every day, often saying "I can't wait to do school!" during breakfast. I love her enthusiasm!

We have been doing school this summer, with a few breaks for camps and traveling, so technically these aren't true "first day of school" pictures, but we're calling it good!



First Grade:

Phonics - Explode the Code, continuing with book 3. 
Math - Singapore math, grade 1
History: Bede's History of Me
Social Studies, Art, Literature, Science: Five in a Row, volume 1
Bible - The Child's Story Bible, by Catherine Vos and Scripture memory

Preschool:

Phonics - Explode the Code, we are almost done with the Before the Code books, and then we'll begin with book 1. 
Math - I plan on using a preschool math workbook in the fall to make sure she has a good foundation and lots of practice writing her numbers. Depending on how she does with that, we may start Singapore's kindergarten curriculum for the spring semester. 
History - Bede's History of Me
Social Studies, Art, Literature, Science: Five in a Row, volume 1
Bible - The Child's Story Bible, by Catherine Vos and Scripture memory

Baby
(for the next 10ish weeks at least, and then I'll be forced out of my denial and have to call her a toddler)

Keeping this little one occupied will be a daily adventure to be sure. She loves her big sisters and wants to be doing everything they are doing. For the past week I tried doing our more interactive subjects in the morning. She loves to read, so she'll sit and look at books with us, and during art projects or science experiments, I can loosely involve her or give her some new toy to play with. Then I was taking turns with the big girls to do phonics and math during Charlie's afternoon nap. That means, however, that the rest of us lose most of our rest time, which as I get further into third trimester and then have a newborn, I'm not keen on doing. I may try having one of the big girls play with her in the play room while I work with the other one in the mornings.

No comments: