6.18.2010

Potty Training: Step 1

Since she started solid foods, Elli has always struggled with diaper rashes, and in the past few months they have gotten even worse.  I've tried it all... stopping certain foods, changing diaper brands, salt water baths, oatmeal baths, doctor visits, letting her run around naked, etc.  All seem to work for a time, and then out of the blue they're back!  I have been counting down the days until she's old enough to potty train, because that is the only thing I can think to do at this point.

I have sincere doubts that I will be able to potty train Elli for yet another few months at least.  Some of my research suggests that they do not even have physical control over bodily functions until around 20 months, much less cognitive awareness of that control!  On the other hand, I have seen eighteen-month-olds who are at least day-trained, so it must be possible!  Eventually I plan on trying the "potty training in a day/three days"method, but for now, my goal is to get her comfortable with sitting on the potty, and train her to actually sit on it for up to ten minutes.  And hey, if she just happens to go while sitting there, the bag of m&m's is ready to go!

PS - I would welcome any and all advice you experienced mamas have!
 
Of course, when I first showed it to her, Elli had different ideas for her throne.  Clearly I have my work cut out for me.

And this final photo brings back such fond memories of one of my college roommates.  Sigh... good times. (*Just in case there is any confusion... these sentences are meant to be drenched with sarcasm...)
Edit:  On Friday, June 18 at 4:00 pm, you went on your potty for the very first time!
Congrats, Baby!  You're on your way!

No comments: