1.01.2012

Five Years

Last week, Daniel and I had the pleasure of sharing breakfast with a newly engaged couple.  They were absolutely adorable - never once breaking contact; lots of sweet, flirty exchanged glances; and more than a few times getting lost in their love for each other.  We couldn't stop smiling as we saw our dear friend so happily engaged, and as we reflected on our own love and engagement.  In some ways, it seems like yesterday that we planned and prepared and prayed for our wedding and marriage.  As I watched our wedding video last week, I could vividly remember my thoughts and emotions.  On the other hand, marriage has brought about so much growth and change in our hearts and minds, that I almost don't recognize either of us.  We really had no idea what we were getting into.

Five years ago, I walked down the aisle and said "I do" to my best friend and love of my life.  Since that precious day, we have learned so much about who we are individually (the good, the bad, and the ugly) and how challenging and rewarding it is to mesh two into one.  The road has been bumpy at times, but as we mark this milestone of five years, there is one absolutely overwhelming sentiment: thankfulness.  God is so gracious, so loving and faithful.  If there is anything good in our marriage, it is only by the power of His transforming grace!

(In celebration, I want to share some of my favorite wedding memories.  I am so thankful for our photographer, Becca Spears, because her pictures are not only beautiful photographs, but they tell the story so well.)
 Because we had an evening wedding, the whole day was full of anticipation and excitement.

 We took pictures before the ceremony, so Daniel and I shared a moment together when he first saw me.  I can still see his face when he turned around. 


Being prayed over by my mom and bridesmaids before the ceremony began.


Waiting... I'm sure my dad remembers the near meltdown that occurred moments after this photo was taken.  No cold feet, just the price of all that anticipation!


Being surrounded by so many wonderful friends and family was a profound blessing for both of us.


The first thing Daniel did when we exited the nave as Mr. and Mrs. was dip me back for a sweet kiss.  So much joy in this moment!


 The club.  These three women have shared almost every event of my growing up years and are still today my best friends.  They know me inside and out.  Friendships like these are so rare.


We had some great toasts at our wedding, but perhaps the most memorable was my brother, Michael's. He had us all in stitches.  


First dance. This was so special because we fell in love while taking a dance class together.


When it came to bouquet tossing, I was always the girl who stood in the back and didn't really want to catch the bouquet at weddings.  So embarrassing, I thought.  For that reason, I surprised the girls at my wedding by throwing a bouquet of several small bouquets so that most of them got one!


And Daniel had me attach a rubber band to my garter so that he could really make it fly.  I love the cousins on shoulders.


I'm probably a little biased (you think?), but our wedding reception was the bomb.  
Daniel and I loved every minute of it!


I have found the one whom my soul loves.
Song of Solomon 3:4
 

1 comment:

Michaela said...

That was so sweet! You were such a beautiful bride!!! I loved that day! I loved all the pictures and the memories! Congratulations on 5 years! I really look up to you and your marriage!