3.30.2012

She likes to move it - move it!

Thursdays are quickly becoming one of our favorite days.  Elli started her first dance/gymnastics class.  This class is exactly suited to her developmental needs, which means I'm one happy Mommy with a very happy three-year-old.  They do learn real ballet, tap, and gymnastics skills, but in a fun and creative environment.  Yesterday, for example, they worked on first position, but they also got to expressively dance like several different animals. 

Photobucket

During the tap portion, they practiced shuffle steps (I think that's what they're called?), but they also sat in a circle and tapped their toes as part of a story time.  Elli enjoyed every single minute!  She frequently seeks me out through the glass and gives me a shy smile.  This was only the second week, but already I noticed a big difference in how she followed her teacher's directions and participated in class.  Last week she might have just run around in circles for most of the class, too excited to actually dance!  :)

Photobucket

Dance is challenging her coordination and ability to listen and watch closely so she can do what her teacher asks.  At this point, gymnastics is stretching her gross motor skills beyond her comfort zone.  She tries to bring her legs up to the bar, she balances (even hopping!) on the balance beam, then leaps off onto the mat.  She attempts somersaults and hand stands.  In the next few months, I have a feeling she will grow leaps and bounds!

Oh, and I just have to point out her gymnastics teacher (bottom right) who has more energy than the entire room of three-and-four-year-olds, God bless her. 

Photobucket

2 comments:

Alyssa Fisher said...

Is there a certain name for the gymnastics/dance class? I am about to look for something similar for Danae. We recently moved to Florida and when I saw your post I thought I would ask in case there is a similar class in my area.

Kristin said...

This sounds like a great class! Glad she's enjoying it!